Everyday people ask me what supplements I take. They are always surprised when I tell them that them most important supplement is a basic multivitamin.
If you're not taking them now, you better change that immediately if you want to meet your fitness goals.
I started taking a Multivitamin EVERYDAY about 10 years ago, and I have been sick less than 5 times in the the last 10 years!!!
What Is A Multi And Why Do I Need One?
For the human body to complete all the tasks it has in a normal day, it must be given a wide and complex variety of vital nutrients. Becoming deficient in any one of these essential vitamins or minerals causes breakdown of the metabolic pathway that produces optimum efficiency and performance goes down quick. Obviously, this is NOT what you want!
Making sure you take a high-potency multivitamin/multi-mineral formula may help ensure the presence of those essential nutrients necessary for thousands of metabolic reactions.
Bodybuilders, athletes, and people that lead active lifestyles need even more nutrients than the average non-active person. So if you think that just grabbing the first one you see on the shelf is going to work for you, think again.
Without the multi, I am convinced that the other supplements you take will not be as effective. Not only is the multi the foundation of a great supplement strategy, it should be the first thing you take care of. First thing when you get up in the morning, take your multi.
You are now ready to go with whatever it is you have to do for the day. If you are in serious training, then you'll find support for faster recovery by taking your multi as soon as you finish working out.
What Makes Up A Multi?
Now some multis have small differences from others, but for the most part, the multi is comprised of the same individual vitamins and minerals. Even though they are normally packaged together in multis, there are differences between the two.
Vitamins are organic. They are more complex than minerals. All vitamins are required by our bodies for survival. Vitamins control the chemical reactions within the body to convert food into energy and living tissue. They are either water soluble which must be taken daily since they are not stored in the body (Vitamin C and all of the B Vitamins) or fat soluble, which are stored in the body (A, D, E, and K).
Vitamins are vulnerable to heat, light, and chemical agents, so food preparation, processing, and storing it must be appropriate to preserve vitamins so you get the nutritional value out of the meal.
Vitamin Basic Function
- A - Vision, healthy skin and mucous membranes, bone and tooth growth, immune system health
- B complex -Important for nerve function, normal vision and skin health, nervous and digestive systems
- C- Immune system and protects cells
- D- Absorption and use of calcium
- E- Powerful antioxidant
- K- Bones, teeth and cartilage health
- Zinc -Immune System Health
Minerals are inorganic. They are much simpler in chemical form than vitamins. They are much more stable in food preparation than vitamins also. Minerals are categorized as major/macro - (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium, and sulfur), and trace/micro- (iron, iodine, zinc, chromium, selenium, fluoride, molybdenum, copper, and manganese) minerals.
Major minerals we need in dosages greater than 100 mg a day. The trace minerals we only need "trace" amounts of daily to suffice. Minerals are used to produce necessary hormones. A simpler way to remember this is that all minerals are found on the periodic table.
Mineral Basic Function
- Boron - Metabolism of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous
- Calcium- Strong and healthy normal bones
- Chromium- Insulin Production Copper- Strengthen connective tissue
- Iodine -Thyroid Hormone Synthesis
- Iron -Carries oxygen within protein hemoglobin
- Lutein -Eye Health
- Lycopene- Heart Health, Supports Healthy Cholesterol
- Magnesium- Over 300 biochemical reactions of body
- Manganese- Co-factor in energy production, activator of many enzymes
- Molybdenum- Supports normal liver and kidney health
- Nickel- Healthy skin and bone structure
- Potassium- Used by Autonomic Nervous System (heart beat, brain function)
- Selenium- Fights against many health problems
- Vanadium- Works with Molybdenum
Hopefully by now you know and appreciate the true value of what a multivitamin means to your bodybuilding and fitness goals. The protein, energy drinks, and all the others are great, but without a multi, you are not meeting your true physical fitness potential.
It doesn't matter whether you are male or female, young or old, bodybuilder, football player, or everyday gym rat. Your multi should be the first supplement you take every day.
Also, check out my program The Simple Shredded Solution for more information about burning fat and building muscles!